FONA - Mini Cellular GSM Breakout - SMA Version - v1
Within its sleek 1.75"x1.25" frame, this gsm breakout packs a GSM cellular module (the latest SIM800) the size of a postage stamp that is compatible with Telcos in Dubai, UAE, Qatar, Oman, and other GCC countries.
- Quad-band 850/900/1800/1900MHz - connect onto any global GSM network with any 2G SIM (in the USA, T-Mobile is suggested)
- Make and receive voice calls using a headset OR an external 8Ω speaker + electret microphone
- Send and receive SMS messages
- Send and receive GPRS data (TCP/IP, HTTP, etc.)
- Scan and receive FM radio broadcasts (yeah, we don't exactly know why this was included but it works really well)
- PWM/Buzzer vibrational motor control
- AT command interface with "auto baud" detection
- Onboard LiPoly battery charging circuitry so you can take your project on the go. Use any 500mAh+ LiPoly or LiIon battery and recharge over the MicroUSB when necessary.
- Standard 4-pole TRRS headphone jack. Use any 'Android' or 'iPhone'-compatible headset with mic
- Breakouts for external 8Ω speaker and electret mic if you don't want to use a headphone
- Level shifting circuitry so you can run it with 2.8V to 5V logic.
- Vibrational motor (buzzer) driver so you can have noiseless notifications
- SMA connection for external antenna
- Indicator LEDs for power and network connectivity
- Standard SIM slides into the back
- SIM Card! A 2G Mini SIM card is required to do anything on the cellular network.
- Lipoly Battery - 500mAh or larger
- MicroUSB cable
- External Antenna
- USB console cable - the microUSB connector is for charging only, but you can wire up a console cable for direct-connection to the module if you want to send commands from a terminal (great for testing and tweaking)